A threat to the New Zealand cricket team that prompted them to cancel a tour of Pakistan appeared in an email from India, the Pakistani information minister said on Wednesday.
The New Zealand cricket team returned home on Wednesday after abandoning their tour of Pakistan last week citing a security threat. New Zealand Cricket said it was aware of a “specific and credible” threat, but did not give details.
Pakistani Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry said the threat came via email.
“This email was generated from India via a VPN indicating the location of Singapore,” Chaudhry told reporters in the Pakistani capital.
India’s foreign ministry did not immediately respond to the request for comment.
Chaudhry added that the West Indies team, which was due to arrive in December, had also received a threat he described as bogus.
Shunned by all after a deadly 2009 attack on the Sri Lanka team bus in Lahore, Pakistan tried to bring back the best international teams.
New Zealand’s pullout has dealt a blow to Pakistan’s hopes of hosting regular international cricket, with England subsequently canceling both men’s and women’s tours.